This page highlights historic or notable locations in the Penn Manor Area. For more information on any of these sites, please contact us at (717) 872-1699 or send us an e-mail. Some of the locations below include links to additional information on the Internet.
- Rock carvings (Conestoga Township, North of bridge near Rockhill)
- Silvermine Park
- Shenk’s Ferry Wild Flower Preserve
- Tucquan Glenn (Martic Township)
- The Pinnacle
- Turkey Hill Trail/Nature Area
- Exposed Rock Strat Formation (at the Norman Wood Bridge – call for info)
- Postlethwaite’s Tavern (Conestoga)
- Boehm’s Chapel
- Conestoga Indian Town (Indian Marker Road Manor Township)
- Canal and Industry (Safe Harbor – PA State Marker in Conestoga Township), Martin Chartier & Peter Chartier – French Explorers and Indian Traders (Washington Boro)
- The 40th Parallel (Maryland vs. PA Conflict in Washington Boro)
- Great Minqua Path (Washington Boro)
- Millersville University
- Washington Boro Archelogical sites
For additional information on many of these click here.
- Postlethwaites’s Tavern
- The Urban Family Home Main St. Conestoga, PA
- Musser Hospital
- David Mellinger Mansion
- Steel Trestle Railroad Bridge Martic Forge
- Powerhouse Bridge at Safe Harbor (also click here and here)
- Colemanville Covered Bridge
- The Biemesderfer Executive Center at Millersville University
- Dutcher Hall at Millersville University
- Victorian Mansion – 417 Manor Avenue, Millersville (1885)
- Log House – 135 Manor Avenue, Millersville
- Safe Harbor Village (1929 – 1932)
- Indian Town/Paxtan Massacre – Manor Township
- Susquehannock Indian Archaelogical site – Washington Boro
- Shenk’s Ferry Clan Village (Crossgates Golf Course, now buried)
- Indian Rock, Frey – Haverstick Site, Robert Farms Site
Industrial and Agricultural
- The Reeves Abbott and Co. Iron Foundry 1848 Safe Harbor on the North East Corner of Main St. and River Rd. Conestoga. Today only the Iron Master’s mansion remains.
- The G. R. McAbee Power and Oil Company – Dynamite factory, Shenk’s Ferry Area
- The Eisenlohr Tobacco (Cigar Factory) Building (1917) Main St. Conestoga
- Sickman Mill and Miller’s House – Watch a small video
- Holtwood Hydroelectric Dam
- Safe Harbor Hydroelectric Dam
- Canal Lock No. 6 (the only remaining section of the Conestoga Navigation Co.
- Turkey Hill Dairy
- Windom Mill Plantation – c. 1760 is comprised of three Stone Houses, mill, barn, out building (the finest examples of this type of farm. Manor Township; 3407 Blue rock road. This farm is on the National Register of Historic Places.
- The Immaculate Conception of St. Mary Catholic Mission Church – only the cemetary remains. This church is important because the church was visited on 4 document occasions by Bishop (Now Saint) John Newmann. Located near Safe Harbor in Conestoga.
- River Corner Mennonite Church – founded 7 June, 1743 by Benedict Eshleman. The present church dates from 1777. River Corner Rd. Conesgoga.
- Zion (Independent) Church – Formerly Zion German Reformed Church, the Zion United church of Christ. built 1872, Oldest church building in Millersville – Nth George St.
- Boehm’s Methodist Episcopal Church (now the United Methodist Church).
- Tabernacle and Cottage Row, the Rawlingsville Camp Meeting Association, Tabernacle – 1901 – 1967, Cottage Row 1957-1960, The United Methodist Church (Technically this camp is in Providence Township)
The Conestoga Area Historical Society
51 Kendig Road, Conestoga, PA 17516